Hot Tips And Tricks How To Take Care For Upholstery (Leather And Fabric)
I really hope you enjoyed my last two blog posts where I gave you my top tips on how to maintain timber and metal furniture. Now, let us move on to leather and fabric.
Some love shopping for shoes, some love trying on clothes. Well, let me tell you that is not us—give us some timber, fabric and leather and we are in heaven! Because of our passion (obsession) we’ve learned the best ways to take care of our many design pieces.
Here are our top tips on how to care for upholstery:
1. To keep the condition of your fabric or leather pristine, we highly recommend you regularly remove dust and dirt from your upholstered furniture. If you’re organising that cleaning party, we spoke about last time then don’t forget to add upholstery cleaning to the list!
2. An easy way of removing dust is to vacuum your fabric upholstered items frequently. Always ensure you use the soft brush vacuum nozzle when cleaning to avoid damaging the fabric or leather in any way.
3. The occasional use of a lint remover may be necessary on any fabric-covered item to remove any fuzz, dust and lint that develops over time and with use.
4. If your furry friends like to cosy up on the couch at home with you, try these tips for cleaning upholstered furniture. To remove pet hair from your furniture, put on a pair of rubber gloves and run them over your furniture. The gloves create static that pulls the hair off to the edge of the furniture which you can easily vacuum it off. Other effective tools for removing fur from upholstery include furniture brushes and hand vacuums that are specially-designed for pet hair.
5. With items upholstered in leather, over time the surrounding waxes will blend and develop a ‘worn in’ appearance which is a natural and beautiful feature that adds texture to your leather. To keep your leather in ideal condition, always guard the leather against direct sunlight and never place it near heat sources such as fireplaces and radiators.
6. Never sit or place damp/wet items on leather or fabric upholstery!
7. If a spill occurs, think fast—wipe it up immediately with a cloth followed with a dry cloth to remove any excess moisture.
8. For leather upholstery we recommend applying a leather conditioner 1-2 times per year. This will keep the leather from drying out and developing cracks, which can affect the structural stability of the stitching.
We hope these upholstery hot tips will help you to maintain your upholstered furniture because we know as well as anyone how hard it can be. Let us know what else you would love to hear about from us, we are always happy to share with you our tips and tricks when it comes to furniture and design.
See you soon beautiful people.